The progressive growth of Central National Bank is clearly evidenced by both it's history and the Bank's position as one of the leading financial institutions in Southeastern Oklahoma. The Bank was chartered March 7, 1901 as The Bank of Poteau. The new bank was capitalized with $25,000 and showed a $4,698 profit for the first full year of operations. In 1902, the name was changed to The National Bank of Poteau and the first building was constructed at the corner of McKenna and Dewey. Ed McKenna Served as President from 1901-1913. Salary for the Cashier (bank manager) in 1902 was $85 per month. A bookkeeper's salary in 1904 was $25 per month. W.R. Rogers served as President from 1913-1914, P.C. Bolger was President from 1915-1919 and G.O. Nolley was President from 1919-1922. In 1919, the Bank's name was changed to Central State Bank and finally in 1922 the institution became Central National Bank. L.E. Thrasher was President the first four months of 1923. He was followed by E.G. Goodnight who served from 1923-1940. Following Goodnight's death, F.L. Holton, Sr., served as President until the naming of Dr. E.L. Collins, who was President from 1940-1954.
In 1944, the Bank moved to the corner of Witte and Dewey and remained at that location until the present building was constructed in 1959 at the corner of Clayton and Witte. Homer Stottsberry became President in 1954 and served until 1978. He was followed by Tommy Miller who served from 1978 until his death in 1981. F.L. Holton, Jr., was President during the remainder of 1981 and in January 1982, Bill Anthony became Central National Bank's 12th President until his retirement in 2005. Chris Fenton served as the 13th President from 2005 to 2020. Steve Holton currently serves as CEO and Mike Hall serves as CNB's 14th President. Following F.L. Holton's death in November 2009, Steve Holton was elected Chairman. In 1979, an automatic teller machine location (the first ATM in the area) was established on the north side of town and in 1980 a multi-lane drive thru facility (the first detached drive-thru in LeFlore County) was constructed on the highway. Central National Bank opened a full service branch in Pocola in 1984 and followed with a branch in Panama in 1989.
In 1991, the main bank was totally renovated and a 10,000 square foot two-story addition was added. The Panama branch facility was expanded in 1995 and a second drive thru lane was added. Construction of a new building in Pocola was completed in January of 1996 and the new facility features four drive thru lanes, a 2,600 square foot customer area and walk-in vault. In May of 2000, CNB opened a 3,200 square foot branch in Stigler, expanding full service banking to Haskell County. Keeping pace with changing technology, CNB established a web site in 1998 and in early 2001, the bank was the first in LeFlore County to offer it’s customers free internet banking. Check imaging was implemented in January of 2003. There has been a continuous revamping of products and services as CNB strives to offer it's customers the latest in banking technology with the addition of such services as Mobile Banking and eStatements. Central National Bank continued to expand by entering the Heavener market. A branch bank was opened in a temporary location in August of 2001 and in March of 2002, the branch relocated to a new 3,200 square foot full service facility. The Panama Branch was expanded and remodeled in the Spring of 2005. In 2008, the Poteau drive-thru facility was relocated to 1907 N. Broadway. The new 4,000 square foot North Branch features a walk-in lobby, customer services offices and six drive-thru lanes. Central National, LeFlore County's oldest and largest bank, has over $287,000,000 in total assets and serves its customers from six convenient locations in Poteau, Pocola, Panama, Stigler and Heavener.